If you have experienced something like this or feel this way now, "Please, I just don't want to talk about my kids..." don't worry you are not alone and it doesn't mean you love your kids any less because you don't want to share another picture, video, or conversation with someone about them for awhile. Just like one can get burned out with talking about certain relatives, news, celebrities, and more, one can also get tired of talking about children.
I thought of this topic when I read an article about what childless or childfree women wanted mothers to know. Some of these ladies have their issues with mothers talking to them about why they don't have children. From the writing, you can detect a couple women just didn't want to keep talking about their private business.
So I end with this, just because we all wear some kind of title such as: "Mother, Single Woman, Divorced, Married, Childfree, Childless..." doesn't mean we want to share every personal detail about it or answer every question that someone poses, especially on days when it is simply challenging enough being a woman.
Here's ideas on some alternative conversations that have nothing to do with children unless you redirect the topics back to your children.
1. So how's things coming along with your job, hobby, craft, business, projects...?
2. I heard about your spouse/friend/relative how is she/he?
3. How do you feel?
4. What have you watched lately on television? Which shows are your favorite?
5. Do you have any favorite songs, musicians?
6. Where did you go recently to unwind or where are you thinking of going?
7. Do you have any personal plans for the upcoming holiday?
8. When was the last time you visited the mall? Did you buy anything?
9. What do you think of the (mention something that happened in the news)? You didn't see it? Let me catch you up to date?
10. Have you been to (fill in the blank)? If you would like to go, I'm free on....
Mom will thank you for the good conversation and getting away from the children sooner or later. God bless.
Nicholl McGuire shares spiritual insight about relationship, spirituality, family, business and more here.